Creating...

I understand from what I have read, that the creative urge is inherent in all folks, but most of us don't believe we have any "talent" when it comes to being a creative person. Though I feel fairly creative when I do photography, I would tell you I can not draw at all. But, I read a couple books on the subject, and thinking it would give a boost to my photography, I have started a drawing journal. It seems most anyone can draw, to some degree. And you improve rapidly with practice. Ideally you draw in your journal each day. Draw anything. Your breakfast, your toothbrush, the person next to you on the subway, your fave mug, your cat, your kid...draw while you are waiting for your appt,  draw while you wait in line, draw at the breakfast table....you get my drift. JUST DRAW. ANYTHING. EVERY DAY. The hardest part is not being critical of your work. That's very hard. Mine always looks like a distracted 2nd grader drew it. But the cool thing is, as you look back at your drawing journal, it tells a different and more exciting tale than a diary. To me, there is more energy and life in your drawing than just mere words. But if you really want to amp up your journal, then add a fave quote, the weather, the date. Say a few words about the drawing. You drew your coffee mug? Then say something about that mug.  Seems to me "sketching" used to be a pleasing pastime for clever boys and girls to engage in. Folks that were traveling had sketching pads to document their adventures. After the fast snap and share of the digital age, drawing seems to slow down your moment and lets you savor it while you make it your very own creation. After seeing so many photos with the same filters and editing style, your own drawing are priceless originals. And you can still share them on line when you are ready.  Just something to think about if you are itching for a new adventure into the untapped, unexplored recesses of your inner life. And all you need is a pencil and paper. Cheaper than therapy and you have something to pin to your walls. You never know until you try.....


Comments

Popular Posts